Wednesday, February 13, 2008

The eternal question - why?

So Monday was the second rehearsal night I got home and wondered... Why the hell did I drive in this crazy weather for this show??

Both times it made me think of a story I love to tell. About midway through my first summer as a performer at Six Flags Great America (the one in Gurnee, IL) I remember doing six 35-minute high energy dance shows and a parade then getting home plopping in front of the TV, putting a big bag of ice on each knee, and staring out the window thinking "there's gotta be something I'd rather be doing with my life..." But I'd always arrive at the same conclusion. There isn't. I HAVE to do this.

Well I outgrew Six Flags after three more summers, but vividly remember knee braces, hamstring wraps, sprained ankles, shin splints and various other injuries throughout my four years. Wouldn't trade it for the world. I learned a great deal and have an die hard work ethic from it.

So back to Monday. Twice now - a snow storm and a snow/ice storm has hit on rehearsal night and nearly every one of us has braved the elements. There are those of us that simply couldn't make it - this is not any kind of comment on them. If they could they would have been there. The more important questions it Why? Isn't there something we'd rather be doing with our lives? Nope. We HAVE to do this. WHY? Cause we're paid, right? Without making a wise comment, I'll say we get paid, but we don't make money. We do this because we HAVE to in our souls and we believe in what we're presenting. This show has a lot to say, will give you a lot to think about. And when people think they talk. When people talk, other people hear. And on and on. We do this for so much more than applause... and not just this show, and not just this theatre company. What we do it for is well after the applause - when you go out after and talk or go home and think. You might care more about something you hadn't before. You might see the world more clearly - or be inspired to see the world more clearly.

Because applause dies out, shows close. But I've been made into who I am by what I've done, and the most by what I've done in the theatre, what I've seen in the theatre. And I wouldn't have it any other way.

Come see this show. See other shows as well. Think about it, then do it - then think about it.

Everybody's got the right to be happy...

JWB

2 comments:

mark e. said...

dude. I knew there was a reason I liked you. we braved 20" of snow in 24 hours to get to our final dress for Beautiful Thing. why? because we HAD to. nobody asked if we were canceling, we just made it happen. I'd be there to see this show if I wasn't neck deep in B&tB - you know - direcing, scenic design, master carpenter, set dresser, I may choreograph... because I HAVE to. I hope your opening was wonderful. one day I WILL get there. I promise. mes

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean, my friend. We do HAVE to do this, don't we? People who don't do what we do will probably never understand...but we do.

xoxo,
Margeau